Careers at Demiurge
Demiurge Studios is an independent game developer, located near Boston. We make high profile games with next-generation tools and old-fashioned creativity. Try our latest original game, Marvel Puzzle Quest! It’s out on iOS, Android, and PC.
Our office is in the heart of Cambridge, directly on the subway line for easy commuting. We maintain a creative, energetic atmosphere where individual input matters. We offer competitive salaries, benefits, and sane working hours.
If you think you’re a good fit, send inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Art Positions
- Production Positions
- Engineering Positions
Senior UI Artist
Demiurge Studios is seeking a talented artist with a passion for user interface design. This person should be an innovative UI developer with a range of artistic and stylistic abilities. You will drive the interface design for one or more game titles and have an impact on every project in the studio. If you care about the user’s experience from the very first splash screen all the way through the ending credits…then we’d love to talk with you!
- Design & create static and animated user interfaces for video games to be shipped on iOS, Android and PC
- Execute UI design with a keen eye for detail at all levels - attend to the overarching screen-to-screen UI placement as well as the border treatment in an achievement icon
- Work independently and collaboratively with team members to solve UI challenges
- Quickly mockup & communicate design intents in a fast-paced, highly iterative development environment
- Accurately estimate your work and expected development times while making smart tradeoffs between quality and pace
- Expert user of industry standard tools including Photoshop, Illustrator and Flash
- Experience designing screen flows for console, PC and/or iOS titles
- A thorough understanding of visual and textual communication principles
- Comfortable giving and receiving work critiques in open sessions
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A passion for creating high quality user experiences in a team setting
Preference to applicants with:
- Experience developing Flash interfaces rendered by Scaleform or Iggy
- Credit on titles localized for French, Italian, German, Spanish and Japanese
- A degree in fine art or graphic design
- Experience creating marketing materials or developing brands
- Outside interests!
Please send a resume and a portfolio (cd/dvd/website) for consideration. Please include the URL for your website on your resume.
DVDs may be sent to Demiurge Studios, 130 Prospect St, Suite 1, Cambridge MA 02139.
Email applications to email@example.com
Demiurge Studios is seeking an experienced Development Director to lead talented teams as they create games for iOS, Android and PC. You will be an integral part of the team’s leadership during all facets of game development, from concept inception through ship. Development Directors are asked to protect schedules, manage budgets, and shepherd our games into the hands of players!
Demiurge is a growing, independent, employee-owned studio that places high value on its people. Ultimately, this individual will be responsible for ensuring that the development process is an enjoyable, rewarding experience for our employees.
- Manage a multidisciplinary team during all phases of product development
- Conceive, create and own a plan which details the product’s features, development schedule and required resources for all disciplines (art, audio, design, engineering)
- Collaborate with leads and front line developers to estimate work, resolve issues and solve problems
- Specify and coordinate the development processes employed by your team
- Collaborate with project and studio leadership to evaluate tradeoffs among scope, time-to-market and quality
- Proactively identify and assess project risks in technology, timeline and staffing. Develop strategies to address them.
- Facilitate communication and collaboration across the game team
- Coach discipline leads and help them motivate their teams
- Champion improvements to Demiurge’s development practices
- 4+ years game industry experience
- 2+ years of engineering experience
- 2+ years of experience managing artists, designers and engineers
- Engineering credits on shipped titles for iOS, Android and PC
- Development Director or Manager credit on at least one shipped title
- Experience running teams under a variety of agile and fixed-time development processes
- Able to facilitate brainstorming and mediate decision making for a team of enthusiastic developers & leads
- Experience managing cohesive, creative teams ranging in size from 5 to 20 people
- Able to author clear milestone delivery documents
- Comfortable speaking in front of a group
Preference to Applicants with
- A degree in computer science, math or engineering
- A degree in business management
- Experience developing an online multiplayer title
- Experience with Atlassian tools - Jira, Confluence
- Expertise with Excel
- An understanding of online and social gaming features
- A love of video games!
- Outside interests!!
Please email your cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Demiurge Studios is seeking a DevOps Engineer to join our team! In this position you’ll implement technology to improve gameplay experiences and help us scale server-side systems for a growing player base. If you have a passion for mobile gaming, cloud based services, and delivering uptime to an eager fanbase then we’d love to speak with you!
Our teams are small, tight, and highly skilled. You’ll interact with other engineers, designers, and artists in an effort to deliver new game features and live game events on a daily basis. Check out Marvel Puzzle Quest on iOS, Android or PC for a look at our latest creation. If you think evolving the tech behind that game sounds like fun, please contact us!
- Instrument and monitor the server-side systems that support Demiurge’s online games
- Develop systems and evangelize protocols to maximize server uptime
- Author code to refine the deployment process, automate testing, and control feature rollout
- Develop tools to manage log files, cloud saves, and archived data
- Engineer server-side tech to profile and improve database queries
- Gameplay development for features such as leaderboards, matchmaking algorithms, and cheat detection
Desired Skills and Experience
- 2+ years of experience in ops or engineering
- Expertise with Python and the Django framework
- Has managed a live web service or mobile application. You have a war story or two to tell.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Cloud management experience based on Amazon’s services - EC2, S3, etc.
- Experience managing and tuning Postgres in a production environment
- Exceptional debugging and troubleshooting skills
- Experience monitoring at the hardware, system, and application levels
- BS (or higher) in Computer Science or a related field (Math, Physics, EE, etc)
- Must be eligible to work in the United States
- A passion for video games!
- AWS: EC2, ELB, S3
- Web: django, gunicorn, nginx
- Database: postgresql, pgbouncer
- Cache: redis
- Monitoring, metrics and CI: monit, statsd, jenkins
If this sounds interesting or if you’d like to hear more, please email your resume to email@example.com. This position is onsite in our studio located in Cambridge, MA.
Server-Side Software Engineer
Demiurge Studios is seeking a server-side software engineer to join our game development team! In this position you’ll create gameplay services and tools that make life more fun for players as well as the development staff. First & foremost, you’ll work directly with designers, artists and engineers to create online gameplay features for gamers. These services connect people together from around the world, mediate multiplayer game sessions, collect real-time gameplay statistics, and deliver digital purchases. You’ll also be in charge of extending our web-based tools which help the production & design staff manage game datasets more effectively in fast-paced development environment.
- Develop server-side technology to facilitate and mediate gameplay
- Create your vision for connected gameplay as exciting new devices and technologies become available in the videogame industry
- Develop and maintain web-based tools for the game development team
- Stay abreast of the latest online technologies and anything else that might be possible in “The Cloud” (cue eerie music)
- Videogames, videogames, videogames!!
- 3+ years of experience in web development
- Exceptional programming ability with Python, Django
- Database development experience with SQL
- Previous experience architecting APIs with JSON
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of good software engineering practices
- Reliable scheduling and project management ability
- BS (or higher) in Computer Science or related field (Physics, Math, EE, etc.)
- Eligible to work in United States
- A passion for video games!
Preference to candidates with:
- Prior C/C++ programming experience
- Experience with Amazon Web Services
- Able and interested in carrying online features all the way through to the client side
- Experience with applications that run on iOS, Andriod, PC, Xbox 360, or the PS3
- Previous professional or hobby game development experience
Please email your cover letter, resume and a code sample to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Senior Software Engineer
We’re looking for outstanding engineers to join our team! If you have a passion for gameplay, physics, networking, tools and/or graphics we’d love to hear from you. As an engineer at Demiurge Studios you’ll work with other engineers, artists and designers to deliver innovative games for the PC, Android and iOS devices. Demiurge development teams are cohesive, highly skilled and well-supported…come join us!
- Work closely with art and design to understand and define game features and system requirements
- Author technical design documents for the team which specify what will be developed and how
- Provide time estimates and development plans for feature development
- Implement, test, debug and maintain source code
- Provide ongoing support to art and design
- Track your development progress and keep production management well-informed
- Think creatively and work proactively to solve any blocking issues for yourself and your teammates
- Deliver high quality, functional systems on time and to specification
- Review the work of other engineers and provide constructive guidance in a highly collaborative environment
- Make educated trade-offs among scope, quality and pace.
- 4+ years game industry experience
- Strong C++ programming and software architecture skills
- BS or higher in Computer Science or similar discipline (Physics, Math, EE, etc.)
- Engineering credits on one or more shipped titles for iOS, Android, PC, Xbox or PlayStation
- Experience developing software for one or more of the following systems: Physics, Animation, Graphics, Networking, Gameplay, AI, UI, Audio
- A strong background in 3D math, trigonometry and linear algebra
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Has an interest in good software engineering practices and maintaining code quality
- Self motivated and able to achieve development goals with minimal supervision
- Has a passion for games and plays them regularly
- Must be eligible to work in United States
- Has outside interests!
Preference to Applicants with
- Experience coding core engine systems (memory management, event handlers, I/O, etc.)
- Experience setting up automated build systems and unit test frameworks.
- Comfortable working in PC, Linux and Cygwin environments
- Experience developing games using agile methodologies
Please email your cover letter, resume and a code sample (C++ preferred) to: email@example.com